1619. November 16-19. Like many ships that made it to Bermuda from England at that time the ship Garland was waylaid by a storm or blown off course and took months to reach the island. All such ships brought goods not generally available locally for the settlers, plus gunpowder and guns for the defence of the island, in particular to hold it against a Spanish attack. Life for the sailors was precarious at sea and because Bermuda was in the track of hurricanes, ships were often endangered, along with their cargoes, as they sat at anchor, usually in Castle Harbour. The Garland had left England eight weeks before the Warwick brought the new governor Nathaniel Butler and had arrived on October 20, 1619 but unlike the Warwick had been overdue for some weeks. She had been delayed by bad weather, and was forced to the southward, where the ship and her crew had laid beating against the wind for so long that their water supply was almost gone, and a great many of her passengers and seamen sick or dead. For these three days, the Garland and the Warwick rode at anchor in Castle Harbour, awaiting loading of cargo, mainly tobacco. Then a late hurricane occurred that caused the Garland to cut down her mainmast. The Warwick fared much worse. Moored not far from the Garland, the Warwick slipped all her anchors, was driven onto the rocks, and was completely wrecked.  Governor Butler managed to raise some guns from the shipwreck for the forts and in the late spring went back to the site, with little military success. Some floating barrels of beer were taken out of the hold, but only after a lot of trouble; some of these were in much better condition than was expected, even though they had lain under water for almost six months. More guns were taken out of the wreck of the Warwick in ensuing years while Warwick slowly rotted away, until all that was left, under a pile of ballast, was a section of the starboard side of the vessel, preserved when the wreck rolled onto its right side. Governor Nathaniel Butler recorded the sinking of the Warwick in which he himself had traveled to Bermuda six weeks earlier. She was the “magazine” ship of Robert Rich, the Earl of Warwick, one of the major shareholders of the Bermuda Company. The Warwick had a noble purpose, to take supplies from Bermuda to Jamestown, Virginia. Governor Butler became heavily engaged not only in the salvaging of the Warwick but also what remained of the Sea Venture ship. (To the huge surprise of scientists several hundred years later, they dug up the Warwickand discovered she had been armed to the teeth, far too heavily armed for a mere supply ship. Her remains are still there, reburied in the sand. She was one of the newest and most technologically advanced ships of her era).